Easy-Peasy Pickled Cucumbers
In a pickle about what to do with all those left over cucumbers? Well, get pickling...with some home-made pickled cucumbers! As a pickling novice, I'd always been a little scared of attempting my own and not quite sure about the whole canning process. But after coming across this easy-peasy recipe - with no complicated processes - it inspired me to give it a go. This simple recipe results in a tasty tangy sweet pickled cucumber - perfect to eat piled onto bread with butter!
- 1 kg Lebanese cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 400 grams brown onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons freshly chopped dill
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1. Thinly slice the cucumbers and onions and place into a large bowl. (If you've got a mandolin slicer, this will certainly speed things up.) Dissolve the salt in the water, pour over the cucumbers and onions and let stand for three hours. Stir periodically to ensure even distribution of salt water.
2. After three hours, drain the cucumbers and onions of salt water.
3. In a large saucepan, bring all remaining ingredients to a simmer.
4. Add in the cucumbers and onion and simmer for 2-3 minutes over high heat. Remove and set aside. Place into sterilised jars.
Whether eaten alone, served alongside some cheese and wine or piled onto some bread with butter, these easy-peasy pickled cucumbers are sure to become a family fave! Enjoy!
Tried the recipe? Let us know in the comments below!